TREATY BETWEEN THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION AND THE REPUBLIC OF TATARSTAN «On Delimitation of Jurisdictional Subjects and Mutual Delegation of Powers between the State Bodies of the Russian Federation and the State Bodies of the Republic of Tatarstan»
Authorised representatives of the bodies of state power of the Russian Federation and the bodies of state power of the Republic of Tatarstan:
governed by the Constitution of the Russian Federation and the Constitution of the Republic of Tatarstan;
proceeding from the universally recognised right of peoples for self-determination, principles of equality, voluntariness and freedom of the will;
guaranteeing the preservation of the territorial integrity and unity of economic space;
promoting the preservation and development of historical and national traditions, cultures, languages;
seeking for ensuring civil peace, inter-ethnic accord and security of peoples;
implementing the priority of the basic human rights and freedoms and citizen irrespective of national origin, religion, residence and other differences;
taking into consideration the fact that the Republic of Tatarstan as a state is united with the Russian Federation in accordance with the Constitution of the Russian Federation, the Constitution of the Republic of Tatarstan and the Treaty on Demarcation of the Objects of Management and Mutual Delegation of Powers Between State Bodies of the Russian Federation and Bodies of State Power of the Republic of Tatarstan, participates in international and foreign economic relations,
hereby have agreed on the following:
Demarcation of the objects of management and mutual delegation of powers between the state bodies of the Russian Federation and the state bodies of the Republic of Tatarstan shall be governed by the Constitution of the Russian Federation, the Constitution of the Republic of Tatarstan and the present Treaty.
The Republic of Tatarstan has its own Constitution and Legislation. The state bodies of the Republic of Tatarstan shall execute the authority of state power, and shall:
1) ensure protection of human and civil rights and freedoms;
2) form the budget of the Republic, define and impose the Republic's taxes;
3) decide the issues of the jurisprudence and notary public;
4) implement legal regulation of administrative, family, housing relations, as well as relations existing in the field of environmental protection and use of natural resources;
5) grant amnesty to individuals convicted by courts of the Republic of Tatarstan;
6) decide issues relating to possession, use and disposal of land, mineral wealth, water, timber and other natural resources, as well as state enterprises, organisations and other movable and immovable property, located in the territory of the Republic of Tatarstan which is an exclusive property of the people of Tatarstan except for objects of Federal property.
Demarcation of state property shall be regulated by the separate Agreement;
7) establish the system of state bodies of the Republic of Tatarstan, as well as their organisational structure and functioning;
8) decide the issues of the Republic's citizenship;
9) establish the procedures for alternative civil service in the territory of the Republic of Tatarstan for citizens having the right - in accordance with the Federal law - for substitution of military service;
10) establish and maintain relations, conclude treaties and agreements with republics, regions, districts, autonomous regions and autonomous districts, cities of Moscow and Saint-Petersburg of the Russian Federation which shall not contradict the Constitutions of the Russian Federation and the Republic of Tatarstan, the present Treaty and the other agreements between the state bodies of the Russian Federation and the state bodies of the Republic of Tatarstan;
11) participate in international affairs, establish relations with foreign states and conclude relevant agreements not contradicting the Constitution and international obligations of the Russian Federation, the Constitution of the Republic of Tatarstan and the present Treaty, participate in the activity of corresponding international organisations;
12) create a National Bank pursuant to a separate agreement;
13) conduct independently foreign economic activity.
Demarcation of powers in the field of foreign economic activity shall be settled by a special agreement;
14) decide, according to the procedure fixed by separate agreement, the problems of conversion for enterprises which are in possession of the Republic of Tatarstan;
15) establish the state awards and honorary titles of the Republic of Tatarstan.
The State Bodies of the Russian Federation and the State Bodies of the Republic of Tatarstan jointly are authorised to:
1) guarantee the civil rights and freedoms, the rights of national minorities;
2) protect the sovereignty and territorial integrity;
3) organise mobilisation of the national economy, direction of the development and production of the weapons and military equipment in the territory of the Republic of Tatarstan; matters concerning the sale armaments, ammunition, military equipment and other military property, as well as the conversion of defence industry.
The form and the share of Parties' participation shall be governed by a separate Agreements;
4) settle common and contradictory questions of citizenship;
5) co-ordinate international and foreign economic relationship;
6) co-ordinate pricing policy;
7) create funds for regional development;
8) pursue monetary policy;
9) manage the items of property of the Russian Federation or of the Republic of Tatarstan, that can be transferred to the joint management, according to their interest based on voluntary and mutual consent. The forms and the procedures for the joint management of the specific objects shall be governed by a separate Agreement;
10) co-ordinate activity on questions of geodesy, meteorology , calendar system;
11) create joint funds for the aim of financing joint programmes, elimination of the consequences of natural calamities and disasters on the mutual agreement basis;
12) co-ordinate joint management of power system, road, railway, pipeline, air and water transport, communications and information systems;
13) ensure an unobstructed and duty-free regime for movement of vehicles, cargoes and products by air, sea, river, railway and motor roads, as well as by pipeline transport;
14) estimate the state of environment conditions in accordance with international standards and take measures for its stabilisation and rehabilitation; ensure environmental safety, co-ordinate actions concerning the use of land, water and other natural resources; prevent ecological disasters; matters of specially guarded natural areas;
15) implement common policy in social sphere: population employment patterns, migration processes, social protection, including social security;
16) co-ordinate the activities on the issues of health care, protection of family, maternity, paternity, childhood, education, science, culture, physical culture and sport; train national specialists for schools, educational, cultural institutions, mass media organisations and other institutions and organisations; provide pre-school and school organisations with native language literature; co-ordinate scientific research in the fields of history, culture of nations and their languages;
17) deal with matters of personnel for judicial and law enforcement bodies;
18) settle litigation, arbitration and notary public matters;
19) co-ordinate the activity of law enforcement bodies, interaction of security services, creation and use of the targeted programmes of crime control;
20) establish common principles for organisation of the state bodies and local administration system;
21) establish administrative, administrative procedural, labour, family, housing, land, water, forest, mineral wealth, environment protection legislations;
22) address the matters of joint use of land, mineral wealth, water and other natural resources;
23) exercise other powers, established by mutual agreement;
The following are within the jurisdiction of the Russian Federation and its State Bodies:
1) the adoption and alteration of the Constitution of the Russian Federation and federal laws, control over execution of laws; the implementation of federal structure and territory of the Russian Federation;
2) regulation and protection of human and civil rights and freedoms; matters of citizenship in the Russian Federation; regulation and protection of national minorities' rights;
3) establishment of a system of federal legislative, executive and judicial bodies and the procedures for their organisation and activities; formation of federal bodies of state power;
4) federal state property and its management;
5) establishment of the basis for federal policy and federal programmes in the fields of governmental, economic, environmental, social, cultural and national development of the Russian Federation.
6) establishment of the legal ground for common market; financial, foreign currency, credit and customs regulations, money supply, principals of general pricing policy; federal economic agencies including federal banks;
7) federal budget, federal taxes and duties; federal funds for regional development;
8) federal power systems, nuclear energy, fissile materials, federal transport, traffic, communication pathways, information and communication systems; space activities;
9) foreign policy and international relations of the Russian Federation, international agreements of the Russian Federation; matters of war and peace;
10) foreign economic relations of the Russian Federation;
11) defence and security; defence industry, the procedures for sale and purchase of armaments, ammunition, military equipment and other military material; production of toxic substances, narcotic drugs and the procedures for their use;
12) status and defence of state borders, territorial waters; air space, the exclusive economic zones and continental shelf of the Russian Federation;
13) the judicial system, the Prosecutor's Office; penal legislation, penal procedural and penal executive legislations; amnesty and clemency; civil, civil procedural and arbitration procedural legislations;
14) federal collision law;
15) meteorological service, standards, gauges, metric system and time calculation; geodesy and cartography; names of geographical points; official statistics and book-keeping;
16) state awards and honorary titles of the Russian Federation;
17) Federal State Service.
Legal documents issued by state bodies, institutions and officials of the Russian Federation and the state bodies of the Republic of Tatarstan shall be valid within the terms of reference for these bodies, institutions and officials.
The State Bodies of the Russian Federation, as well as the State Bodies of the Republic of Tatarstan, shall have no right to issue legal acts on the matters, which do not relate to their terms of reference.
The State Bodies of the Republic of Tatarstan and the Federal State Bodies as well shall have the right to protest against the laws of the Russian Federation and the Republic of Tatarstan when they violate the present Treaty.
Disputes on exercising the powers within the common terms of reference of the State Bodies of the Russian Federation and the State Bodies of the Republic of Tatarstan shall be settled according to the procedures agreed upon between the Parties.
For the purposes of implementation of the present Treaty the State Bodies of the Russian Federation and the State Bodies of the Republic of Tatarstan shall have the right to conclude additional agreements, establish joint structures and commissions on a parity basis.
The State Bodies of the Russian Federation and the State Bodies of the Republic of Tatarstan shall have plenipotentiary representative offices in the cities of Moscow and Kazan, respectively.
No unilateral cancellation of, alteration of or amendment to the present Treaty or its provisions shall become valid.
The Treaty shall come into force 7 days after its signing and shall be the subject to publication.
Made in Moscow on February 15, 1994 in two copies, each in the Tatar and the Russian languages, both texts having equal validity.
PRESIDENT OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION
PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF TATARSTAN
CHAIRMAN OF THE GOVERNMENT OF THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION
PRIME MINISTER OF THE REPUBLIC OF TATARSTAN